Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Language Blog

Part 1: Engaging in a conversation for 15 minutes without using any version of  symbolic language (no speaking, writing or ASL).

I found this experiment very difficult at first. I am so use to being able to speak and of course accompanying my words with hand gestures so not being able to do that even for just 15 minutes, I felt a little helpless and not myself. I really didn't know why to do at first or how to communicate, so I just listened. I engaged in the conversation by hearing what everyone else had to say, hoping no remarks or questions were directed towards me. 

The other partners engaged in the conversation didn't notice at first, since all I was doing was listening. However after a while had passed, my silence was getting pretty loud and they began asking questions. I already knew I couldn't speak and was trying very hard to not gesture my hands, so i resulted in simple head nods and shoulder shrugs. They looked at me like I was a little off but of course knew something was up. After cracking some jokes in an attempt to break my silence, they eventually carried on with the conversation, making it easier for me to just sit back and listen.

If my parters and I represented two different cultures meeting for the first time, their culture would have the advantage in communicating complex ideas. Not only would they be able to use speech in an attempt to understand us and vise verse, but they would also have sign language or writing or any other symbolic communication tactic. This advantage would most likely lead them to having attitudes towards us making them feel like they are superior because they have more forms of communication then the other culture.

People in our culture who are unable to speak or hear I believe have more difficulties than those who can. This can affect them because those who are able to speak and communicate easily can sometimes find it frustrating when they are trying to get a message across. Of course for them its easy because they simple say what needs to be said, but they don't always consider how difficult it can be for the other individual.

Part 2: Spend 15 minutes communicating without any physical embellishments, i.e., no hand signals, vocal initiation, head, facial or body movements.

For this experiment, I was able to get through 15 minutes of conversation with just my words and no physical embellishments. Even though this part of the experiment was easier than the first, it was definitely more frustrating. I was constantly having to hold my hands back because it was just in my nature to use them during conversation, especially when sharing a story or experience. 

My partners in the conversation weren't so much affected by at as in Part 1. As long as they were able to communicate verbally with me, nothing else really mattered. I found it more difficult because I knew I wasn't allowed to use gestures, which made me want to us them even more!

This experiment showed the importance in using "signs" and other non-speech language techniques when communicating with others. Although it may not seem so important, these techniques help elaborate our communication. They help determine how important or exaggerated a conversation needs to be.

I do think there are few people who have difficulty reading body language, meanwhile for others it's like a second language. When you're able to read body language, you can catch on to many things, like mood, attitude and other feelings and emotions some express without using words. I think its impossible to find an environment where body language isn't used. It's used with everyone and everywhere. Even when you don't realize it, you're using body language for the littlest things.

4 Comments:

At July 30, 2014 at 2:54 PM , Blogger L Rodriguez said...

For the first part, I'm confused as to why you didn't use body language, other than nods or head shaking? You couldn't use symbolic language (spoken, written or ASL) but body language was supposed to be used... kind of like a game of charades.

Good discussion on cultural differences.

Often partners have an even harder time in the second part. You may not have noticed a response since you have multiple partners engaged in this. I wonder if you would have noticed a difference with only one?

Can you think of a specific group of people who struggle to read body language?

The question was not present a situation where body language wasn't used, but a situation where it might be better to not read body language. Is there ever a situation where body language might lie to you? Do all cultures use the same system of body language?

 
At July 30, 2014 at 3:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, I really enjoyed reading your post. It's interesting to see how other classmates reacted to this assignment. When talking about the culture differences in part 1 I found it interesting that you said the speaking culture would have superiority over the non-speaking. When responding to this question I didn't think of this but now that you bring the point up I can see how this could happen. I also said in my response that the speaking culture could become very irritated and frustrated if the non-speaking culture didn't understand. This statement could go both ways!

 
At July 30, 2014 at 9:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I agree that people in our culture who are unable to speak and hear have a huge disadvantage. Communication should be very quick and detail and any slow down causes frustration. Even when a word an individual wants to use on the tip of your tongue the person gets frustrated. I can only image how frustrating it can be to be deaf.

 
At July 30, 2014 at 11:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

L. Rodriguez,

I misunderstood the directions for part 1, now that I look back, it would have made quite the difference! Still, it was an interesting challenge.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home